I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions. If you want to make a change in your life, don’t wait until the start of the new year to postpone, make it now. After all, if it’s a lifestyle change, shouldn’t it be made now and not at an arbitrary time of year? If you want to change something, or do something, do it whether it’s in the winter, summer, may, or today.
However, we use the calender to mark time, and sadly (or gladly), 2013 is ending and a digit will need to be updated every time I write the date. Hard job for a girl who likes to still sign off as “LK 12/20/2012.” So here’s 14 things I want to do in 2014 because I don’t have enough of 2013 left to do them all.
14. Do more yoga – I used to take bikram classes, than I got lazy.. need to go back, because the fact that my 5ft tall hands can’t touch my toes is sad.
13. Spend 1 day a week where I don’t eat sweats – For the sake of my teeth, I really need to cut some sugar out. Tooth fillings are pricey and dental plans suck.
12. Try a new recipe every two months – Monthly would be a stretch, every two months, i think I can pull off. Slow-cooker counts.
11. Hate the MBTA a little less – I can’t fix it, need to just realize Boston commute sucks.
10. Run 3,000 miles – I’m down to 2,600 miles for 2013, what’s an extra 400?
9. Read 12 books – one for each month. Always a goal, one that I rarely complete. Although, if you ask me, I think Game of Thrones should count at 3 books each and then I would be set.
8. Visit a new U.S. National Park – 2013 brought me Bryce Canyon, Zion & Grand Canyon, I probably won’t top that many in 2014, but a new one would be nice, more than nice. You know, before the oil companies and fat oil dogs destroy them all.
7. Bike a century – I barely made it for 50 miles, how bad could 100 be?
6. Donate my donation bins – These been sitting in my closet too long, if I can get them out before 2013 is over, even better
5. Do a 100 push-ups – There’s an app for that and I got no excuse
4. Join a Master’s swimming class for Triathlete – http://www.runtomunch.com The class I took at the Y was a waste of time, but I’m hoping to find something better that also works with my schedule. Sadly the better Y classes are at 8:30 and I don’t live in Boston
3. Swim 2.4 Miles – I want to be an Ironwoman – but I got some work to do.
2. Complete a 50 Miler – Pinelands Running Festival in May 2014, hoping for a better year than my 2013 attempt
1. Complete a half Iron-man – I’m signed up Pumpkinman in Sept 2014!
What’s one of your goals for 2014?