Thanks to REPREVE for sponsoring today’s post!
Well I thought I would share some of my favorite ways of staying green! I don’t know about you, but reading about the glacier size plastic in our oceans, and all the drastic weather freaks me out. Besides yelling at anyone who throws out a plastic bottle, here’s my favorites of how I try to stay a little more green.
1. Recycling – That’s a given! It makes me feel good about myself and compared to trash pick up, it’s free in Malden. The U.S. plastic bottle recycling rate is less than 30 percent—so less than one-third of all plastic bottles get recycled.
2. Brita Filter + Soda Stream – Not only is my seltzer tastier but I don’t have to go through plastic bottles and cans. Also, since I have everything I need in my house to make seltzer, we no longer need to make trips to the store to buy some. Less driving, less gas!
3. Taking the train instead of driving – Cheaper, and better for the environment. Even though sometimes I really hate the train. Okay most of the times.
4. Runmute – Running instead of driving to work. Get to work, while getting your exercise in. With all the traffic, it takes just as long to run 8 miles as it does to drive!
5. Wearing REPREVE – Cute, WARM and made out of recycled bottles. REPREVE is what turns 6 recycled plastic bottles into a green beanie that keeps you warm and protects you in the winter weather. You can even wear your REPREVE while on your runmute!
REPREVE will also take recycling to new heights with a special green event at the 2014 Winter X Games Aspen (Jan. 23-26, 2014).
Professional snowboarder Elena Hight, REPREVE’s brand ambassador, will compete in the Women’s Superpipe in a bright green Volcom jacket made with REPREVE (from 50 recycled plastic bottles). REPREVE will also hand out free beanies (6 recycled plastic bottles) to fans at the Women’s Final Superpipe event, to wear and line the pipe with REPREVE green. So if you’re there, check it out!
REPREVE #TurnItGreen X Games contest:
Dates: Jan. 1-31
Grand Prize: $5,000 cash
To celebrate the X Games, REPREVE invites participants to share how they “turn it green”, or how they live a more sustainable life by recycling or reusing materials, by sharing an image or video on Twitter, Instagram or Vine with the #TurnItGreen hashtag.
How to Enter
Once you share the image or video with the hashtag, you will be entered into a sweepstakes where five entries will be randomly selected as the Top Five. Those five will be voted on by visitors to Repreve[dot]com where the image or video with the most votes will win a $5,000 cash prize. The other four video entries will receive a REPREVE Jacket and a Go-Pro camera (retail valued at over $350).”
How will you turn it green? I read this post about picking up some bottles on a runmute. I’m thinking of trying this out myself on my next one. Or maybe next time I’m on an easy run on a trail.