Now I mentioned yesterday how a couple of KitchenSurfing chefs got together with Popchips to host a dinner party/competition a few weeks ago, but there was something missing.No it’s not the booze, we had plenty of that. DESSERT. Maybe it’s my childhood, but to me a meal is not complete without a little sweat something. So I decided to remedy the situation with some cookies.
Pop Chip Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients – Creates about 32 cookies
2 sticks of butter (softened)
¾ cup Granulated Sugar
1 3.5oz bag of Original Potato Pop Chips, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, divided
Extra Sugar (for dusting)
1 cup Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In food processor blend ½ the bag of Pop Chips into a fine powder. Measure out ¾ cup of ground Pop Chips and set aside. Hand crush the remaining Pop Chips and add ½ teaspoon of salt to mixture and stir until combined, set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add the ¾ cup of fine ground Pop Chips and mix until incorporated, and then add the vanilla, and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the flour and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and mix until just combined — do not over mix the dough! Dough will be not come together completely but will look sandy.
4. Use a spoon (or I use a small ice cream scoop) to scoop dough. Using your hands to compact the dough, form small 1-inch balls and place onto a lightly greased sheet pan, spacing them at least two inches apart. Lightly wet the flat bottom of a glass and press into extra sugar. Using the glass flatten the dough balls to about a ¼ inch. Continue to apply sugar to glass and until all of dough is flattened.
5. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown, and allow to cool.
6. While cooling, melt chocolate in microwave in glass bowl in 15 second increments until melted, stirring frequently. Or melt chocolate in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. Dip each of the cookies in melted chocolate. While the chocolate is still soft, roll the cookies in crushed Pop Chip and Salt mixture. Set the dipped cookies on wax paper over a wire rack until chocolate sets.
7. Try not to eat 10 of them at once like I did
Now this would complete a meal =). A perfect blend of sweet and savory to keep me satisfied.
If you like the recipe, please visit BlogandTweetBoston starting Wednesday and vote for me! If you can’t tell by the shameless begging, I really want to win =).